Saturday, July 23, 2016

Utopia


     For a blog that's supposed to be about writing, I do a lot of not-writing posts. At the same time, I want to write what I want to write. I want to write about what I want to say, what I want to tell people. So, today, I'm writing about Utopia.
     Unless you've been living under a rock, I'm sure you've heard of all the shootings lately in America, all of the tension and the hate. It feels like the flag is at half-staff more often than not. Add to that all of the foreign problems, and it feels like humanity is imploding on itself. Like we're an old wooden house, depending on a few cracking beams to stay upright. It's overwhelming to think of the future, all the problems my generation is going to have to live with and fix. I'm watching history unfold, and it seems like it's overwhelmingly negative. All of a sudden, some dystopian novels seem less impossible.
    With all this going on, it makes me think of the flip side-- utopia. How could we make a perfect society? A world where everyone gets what they need, where there's no reason for violence. Where we can just talk out disagreements instead of going to war over them first. Where we don't have to worry about whose land or country is whose. Why do we draw all these lines? We draw them on the earth, in our air and water, and between ourselves. And then we treat them as absolute, and we treat people who live within different sets of lines like they're not people. Yes, we have come light years from the social views of the eighteen-hundreds, but we can never forget how far we still have to go.
    I've already decided against ever trying to implement some huge system. I trust myself to have good intentions, but good intentions can easily pave the way to bad implementation. I wouldn't trust anyone with a large system to create utopia. If we're going to be better, we have to work on an individual level.
    I've thought about it a lot, and I've decided that the biggest obstacle to a perfect world is selfishness. That's why we can't have all resources be free-- we can't trust ourselves and others not to take more than they need. We live our whole lives trying to have more. And we end up with people who have so much excess, they can't even count it, and we end up with people trying to survive without the most basic needs.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, so long as human beings remain selfish, utopia can't exist. And we can't just remove selfishness. But. We can help ease the problem. Each and every one of us can choose to be selfless. I'm not even talking about Divergent-Abnegation selfless. I'm talking about doing just one thing every day to help someone, even if it's not convenient for you. I'm talking about understanding what we don't need, and giving our excess to people who need it far more. I'm talking about ignoring those lines I was talking about. I honestly believe that if we spent half as much time trying to understand each other as we do judging and stereotyping and hating, the world will be a far better place.
     I know this post won't reach the entire world. I know my words won't change the course of history, or stop all the violence around the world, or end all suffering. I accept that. But if I can make life better for just one person, I will have changed the world. If five people, including myself, see this post and try to do something for others once a day, then in one year, 1825 days will have been brightened. In five years, the number grows to 9125. That's nearly ten thousand. So please, for the love of the human race, give it a try. You might be surprised.

1 comment:

  1. Selfishness is hard to overcome, and in most books that have dystopian/utopian predicaments, selfishness is often the starting point of all other issues. It's the first straw on the camel's back. The more straws you pile on, the harder it is for the innocent little camel to keep walking. One other really big one, in my slightly not-quite-so-knowledgeable opinion, would be(Drum roll please)

    Bbbrbrrriupaorppprrpppprrrbbbrbb
    ^^My attempt and writing a drum roll

    Stubbornness.

    I am definitely stubborn, and when it comes to needing help, I will never ask for it. Even if someone offers me help, I will decline. After excessive pleading, I may give in, but I really wont be excited or anything to receive your help. Thankful,, certainly but it is hard to have others solve things I would rather do alone. I think with humans our greatest flaw is either being selfish or stubborn. Or sassy. And meeting someone with all three of these traits, would be the most epic triple threat I've ever heard of. But I don't really know how to articulate and communicate my thoughts opinions very well, so I don't quite know where this was headed. oops.

    Farewell for now and I hope that made sense,

    -m

    ReplyDelete