Friday, December 23, 2016

Writing Holidays

         I wasn't going to post this week, with it being Christmas, but A) I've posted once in the last month. I think I've had a break. B) Since I got off school for Christmas break, I have nothing but time. And a lot of cookies from neighbors, but that's beside the point. I figured a short post wouldn't kill me.
         In honor of the holiday season, and because I haven't posted about writing in way too long, today I'm going to share some ideas about holidays for your storyworld.
         Holidays aren't necessary per se, but they can add a lot of depth to a storyworld. A huge part of culture is holidays, and they can provide new ideas and conflicts. (Expectations not being met, crowds blocking ways characters need to go, etc)
         Think of a holiday. Any holiday, really. I'll bet that whatever it is, it's celebrated because of some historical reason. Halloween is celebrated because it was seen as a day spirits walked the earth, and a ton of our traditions for the holiday can be traced back to that. Christmas is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Jesus. Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah to celebrate when the people rose up against a Greek king for religious freedom (correct me if I'm wrong about this, I looked it up but I might have it wrong). Thanksgiving is celebrated in America to commemorate the first harvest of the pilgrims. Boxing day is a British holiday celebrated the first day after Christmas, and was originally celebrated because the house staff had to work Christmas for parties. They were given the day after off, often with a box of goodies from the party.
          Do you see what I'm getting at here? Every holiday I can think of has its roots in history. I've recently learned the hard way that history is extremely important in a storyworld, and that it isn't always pulling-hair-out frustrating and dull. Think of the holidays I mentioned. Each one has its roots in a story. So thinking of your history as another story can be immensely helpful in worldbuilding. So look at the history you already have. Maybe a holiday could commemorate a great battle, or the beginning of a new era, or a great discovery. What events do you already have in your history that could be celebrated?
          Like I said, you absolutely don't need holidays. But if you're so inclined to make them, they can add a lot to a storyworld.
         Have a wonderful holiday season, everyone, and may your writing flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment