Sunday, February 26, 2017

Pushing the Send Button

      In entering contests, sending my work to beta readers or sending back critiques, or even writing a blog post, one of the hardest parts is finding the courage to press send. It's a scary thing. The moment you push that button, your work is there to be read and judged, and there's nothing you can do to get it back.
      I think when I'm working up the courage to push that innocent-looking little button, what I'm really trying to do is prepare myself for possible rejection. I've poured my heart and soul into these words, and now I'm sending them out into a place where they could potentially be torn to shreds. It's a completely valid fear. But if I lived by that, I wouldn't be writing this right now. The thing about writing is that there will be a lot of rejection. No matter what, someone won't be satisfied. And that's okay.
      Facing rejection as a writer is a tricky balancing act. J.K. Rowling was rejected something-teen times before publishing the first Harry Potter book, so rejection isn't necessarily an indicator of quality or lack thereof. However, it's always good to take a look at your blind spots. In this case, rejection-- especially people pointing out one specific issue--can help your work grow.
    The other thing is that most of the time, especially in sending to beta readers, people are really nice. A lot of beta readers are writers themselves, and know how to give a good critique without crushing your soul. Most of the time, you'll get things you did well in addition to what you can fix. As far as blogging goes, I've no doubt that at least one person has run across this site and disliked it. But I'm still here. I'm alive.
       So if you need to close your eyes and scream as you press the button, do it. If you have to curl up on the floor, hold a pillow, and sob uncontrollably for ten minutes after, do it (also get yourself some hot cocoa and take care of yourself). But whatever you do, press that send button. Your writing will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment