Saturday, February 27, 2016

15 Things I Love About Writing



   So, technically, this is a tag-your-fellow-bloggers thing that's been going around, but I saw it on one of my favorite writing blogs (You should look at it. It's at http://hannahheath-writer.blogspot.com/2015/05/15-things-i-love-about-being-writer.html ) and wanted to do it. I'm also not going to tag anyone, mostly because I don't actually know any other people who have a writing blog. So, if you have a blog, feel free to consider yourself tagged. Now, here are my fifteen things I love about writing--
     1- Characters
         I've mentioned this before, but my characters are my favorite part of writing. Creating them, fleshing them out, filling in character sheets, and then setting them loose on the page... it's incredible. Also occasionally frustrating, when they don't do what you want them to do, but the way they develop a will of their own is amazing. I don't write their stories. I stick them in a situation and see what they do with it.
    2- My desk
         While I do a lot of writing at school, when I'm at home, I usually use my desk. I adore that space. I love pinning random ideas and reference images and quotes to my bulletin board. I love the clay dragons that keep me company, and the dream catcher I hang nearby, because I'm not that superstitious, but it seems like a great way to invite ideas.


     3-The community
        Oh, where do I even start on this? The 'yes! I made my beta readers cry!' moment that we all take pride in. The joking about our search histories. All of us having imaginary friends. I joined the Go Teen Writers Community Facebook group a little over a year ago, and my first post was about character death. I had NO EARTHLY IDEA what I was getting myself into. But those are my favorite people on the internet. They can joke with me about the stranger bits, cry with me when I have feels, and cheer me on when I have a victory.
     4- Plot Bunnies
        Getting random ideas, listening to people talk for snippets of dialogue, and carrying a notebook and pen in my pocket to write them down. I love the a-ha! moment where I get an idea that ties everything together.
    5-First Drafts
         Some writers prefer edits, but I love the feeling of writing new words, creating new worlds and people and describing and developing. Edits are great, but nothing can match the magic of a first draft. Which brings me to my next point...
   6- The magic
      One of my favorite sayings about writing is, "I write because creating things that didn't exist before is as close to magic as I'll ever get." I love that thought, because really, writing is basically telepathy. You take ideas from your head and transfer them into a format that will put them into other people's heads. I think that's pretty cool.
    7- The flexibility
        I am not particularly fond of math, largely because all the hard work leads up to only one possible answer, and if you get something different, you're wrong. Writing is different. With only my fingers and a keyboard, I can craft the same idea in a thousand different ways, and it will never be the same as someone else's, because I'm different from all of the other writers in the world. It's individual. It's creative.
    8- I can give others what books have given me
       My dad read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to me when I was in kindergarten. I've loved books, especially fantasy books, ever since. I love the feeling of being so enraptured by reading that I forget what's around me. I love being in someone else's head and experiencing the fantastical with them. Through my writing, maybe I can do the same for someone else.
    9-Ships
        As a fangirl, I am all too familiar with ships, and all the emotions they cause (I'm still getting over the Doctor and Rose). I take a kind of evil pleasure in giving others the same feels. And writing little bits of romance, despite never even having been on a date. Those are fun.
    10-My crazy dreams can be useful.
        I once had a dream in which I was stabbed in a surprisingly well-developed fantasy world. It was scary, but then I woke up and wrote it down because PLOT BUNNIES! Same with the descendant of Midas, and a thousand other nonsensical dreams.
    11- Random Facts
         I pick up on the oddest little facts when I'm doing research. For example, you can die if you get air in your bloodstream. It's called an air embolism. The earliest forms of biological warfare were people catapulting bodies of plague victims over their walls. Lots of creepy, but cool, information.
    12- Making Collages
       I spend a large potion of my time procrastinating working on my novel by finding reference images on Pinterest and making collages with them. They're rather pointless, but they're fun.
    13-Because I love thinking of the future I could have with it.
       Even if I don't have a bestseller, just being published would be incredible. Holding my hours of work in my hands, in hardcover format, seeing my book on Amazon, reading reviews...it's a distant dream, but so real in my mind. And if I work hard and keep writing, I could make it come true.
    14-Because I can experience anything
         Through my writing, I can fly and travel to amazing places and touch the stars. I can live my character's lives with them, and I can cheer them on and explore. I can have a thousand first kisses (despite not having had one). I can live all of these lives, and see anything, without leaving my home.
    15-Because I don't know what I'd do without it.
       I've only been writing seriously for less than two years, but I've always dabbled in it. I've come across hand-scrawled pages of stories I wrote in second and third grade. I've always had these ideas in my head. Some people can't imagine living without sports. Some people can't imagine living without drawing. I can't imagine living without writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment