Friday, February 26, 2016

Using MBTI to Develop Characters

   
   I don't know about you, but developing characters is one of my favorite parts of writing. Figuring out who they are, and why, is incredible, and seeing them run loose on the page is, while occasionally exasperating, really quite cool.
    But sometimes they decide not to talk to me. That's a problem. I know something will happen, but I have no clue how they'd react. This is where Myers-Briggs comes in handy. I can hop onto the writing group on Facebook that I'm part of, type up a quick question addressed to people of the same type as my character, and get some ideas of how my character would react.
    By the way, for those who don't know, MBTI stands for Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (or instrument, depending on who you ask). Each person will be a four-letter type, and use four of eight functions (which are super confusing and I'm not good at them, so if you want to know about them, google MBTI functions). So, for a quick rundown of the system--
    Introversion/Extraversion- This is where you get your energy. Introverts expend energy in social situations, while Extraverts gain it. Introversion is abbreviated as I, and Extraversion is abbreviated as E.
    Sensing/Intuition- This is how the inner world is structured. Sensors prefer concrete details, while Intuits tend to lean more towards the big picture and what it means, rather than what it is. Intuition is abbreviated as N, to differentiate it from Introversion. Sensing is shortened to S.
   Thinking/Feeling- This is how you make decisions. Thinkers rely on objective reasoning, while Feelers are more likely to 'follow their hearts.' These two abbreviations are easy; just T/F.
   Judging/Perceiving- This is how the outer world is structured. Judgers prefer schedules, order and tidiness, while Perceivers would rather go with the flow. The abbreviations are J/P.
   Each person has one of eac of these, and you put the letters together to make your type. I'm an INFJ, which stands for Introversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judging. My four-letter opposite would be an ESTP, which stands for Extraversion, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving.
    If you want to find out your type, there are online tests, but those aren't the most accurate. If you have to, use a test that measures the funtions, rather than letters, and then read about types to figure out the best fit.
    To figure out your character's type, follow the same process.
    Anyhow, once you know your character's type, it gives you a good way to figure out reactions you're not sure of. My current main character is an ESTP, so I'm often lost on what she would do. Because I know her type, though, I can either Google it (ESTP and anger, for instance), ask ESTPs I know in real life, or ask other ESTPs on the internet.
   It also gives a framework to work with for your character. While Myers-Briggs isn't a cookie cutter mold, it can give you a good idea of some common traits. When I create a character, the first thing I usually do for personality is MBTI type. It gives me a good idea of some basics, and helps me get a good foundation for further detail.
     P.S. Here are some of my favorite MBTI resources-
     http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/survival_quiz  This is mostly just fun. It has short stories about each type in a zombie apocalypse, and is...definitely interesting.
     http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm   If you MUST use an online test, this one is decent. It measures the functions, and will suggest the main type it thinks you are, plus the next two.
     http://typelogic.com/fa.html   This gives a description of each type, using functions.
    Do you have any questions? What are your characters' types? What are yours? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment