Friday, February 19, 2016

Writing Terminology: A Guide for New Writers


    When I first started writing seriously, I looked up tons of stuff online, and eventually stumbled into a Facebook group for writers. Most of them had been writing for much longer than I had, and there was a lot of terminology I didn't understand. So, I'm writing this guide now to help new writers be able to understand their more experienced friends. Here's a few of the more common terms:

Plot Bunny- This is a bit of a story idea. It rarely has any real connection, or even much substance, but they can develop into great stories. It's called a plot bunny because it's fluffy and cute and you want to abandon your current project to chase it.

WIP- Short for Work In Progress. The project you're working on right now.

MC- Main Character. You'll also sometimes see FMC and MMC, which stand for Female Main Character and Male Main Character, respectively.

Ship- This is mostly fandom, but applies to writing as well. When you ship two characters, you want them to end up together, even if they won't/can't. Shipping is the act of having a ship.

Word War- When two or more writers get together and write for a certain amount of time. Whoever writes the most wins.

OC-Original Character. A character you made up.

Canon- Also fandom but may be useful for fanfic writers. Canon is the events that happen in the original books, movie, or show. Some people also include later content by the author, like J.K. Rowling's extra information on Pottermore.

MG- Middle Grade.

YA- Young adult

OTP- One true pairing. Your favorite ship.

POV- Point of view. The character whose eyes the story is told through.

Feels- When your story gives you too many emotions. This one's also used commonly in fandom.

AU- Alternate universe. Placing your characters in another world.

     I think that about covers the main ones. Are there any I missed? Which terms confused you most? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I always forgot AU. Still do. I don't think I ever will get it down, really. hehe. SO EXCITED FOR TABC

    ReplyDelete